Current situation and learning path
Transition into a data engineering role.
What is it?
What skills are needed?
- At least 1 cloud computing platform
- Relational Databases
- 1 pipeline management tool / platform
SQL - intermediate
Python for data analysis - Pandas.
Working knowledge of GCP tools: - BigQuery - Cloud Functions - App Engine - DataPrep - Google Cloud Storage
skill gaps identified
Advanced SQL skills. specifically around creating and modifying data. Stored procedures.
GCP - data engineering certificate.
Data warehousing principles.
1. Google Cloud platform certification
- On tools training through qwiklabs
- Review of GCP documentation
- Review of exam materials
- exam course guide
- pass data engineering certification exam
2. Level up SQL
3. Python Specific for data engineering
Work through "Data Engineering with Python" book.
4. Data warehousing
Work through Kimball data warehousing book.
- Create serverless web analytics functionality
- Create cryptocurrency dashboard
- Review commercial ETL tools such as: Stitch data, Panoply, FiveTran, Airbyte